- Harley Sings, Bee Stings, Water Horses, and Some WTF
- The Last Code Talker, Some Classic Confessional Humor, a Catchy Video Tune, and the Culture of Shut Up
- The Warrior Passes On, Neanderthal Interbreeding, Black Boxes Deep Beneath the Sea, and a T-Rex Heads to DC
- Time Travel Edition: Fashion of the Future! Classic Rock Recreated! Colbert Changes Time Slots! Super Hero Workout Secrets!
- Old Shows Kind of Back Again, NSA Doing Questionable Things, Ghosts (Maybe), Batman, and Jesus’ Wife (Also Maybe)
- Guns, Crabs, “That’s not cutting a rug”, Dancing, Homeless Jesus, and SCIENCE!
- Geek Cred, Stupid Kids, Good Crazy/Bad Crazy, Muppet Christ Superstar, Old Mall Nostalgia, Thor in Drag, and a Whole Lotta T-Rex
- Working a Pole, Hoofin’ It, Haunted Island For Sale, Toxic Interpretation, Our Panopticon, Sacred Nature, and a New Moon
- Not Good Advice, Not Nazis, Not the Inside of a Building, Not Cool, Not Ishtar, Not Catholic, Not Earth
- Rockin’ it With One String, Some Jesus Jokes, Minons With Pets, Awesome Con, and Useful Dark Emotions
- Some stuff from the weekend and more
- Dead Rock Stars (If They Weren’t), Sharknado 2 (If You Want To), A New Ax (If You’ve Got Wood), Permatemping (If You’ve Kind of Got a Job), Rockin’ Fire (Just Because), and Other Things (Since There Are)
- Nail in the Net Neutrality Coffin, We Can Be Martians, Inside Mummies, American Dream Evaporated, and Pop Nightmares
- Political Drift, Questionable Communications Decisions, A Classic Clip, History Online, Seal Snuggles, and Some SciFi Short Goodness
- Birds, Bionics, reBoots, Balls, Batgirl, and a Bunch of things that don’t start with B
- Some History, Some Politics, Some Fun, and a Few Other Things
- More Than a Little Art, A Call to Action for Net Neutrality, Some New Entertainment, and Awesome Science
- Cancellations, Supreme Court Gaffe, Interesting Food, Net Neutrality, and Rain
- Some Good News, Some Bad News, and Some Outright Crazy Stuff (You know, as usual)
- History Most Don’t Know, Instances of Future History in the Making, Talented Kids, and other Interesting News
- Crawfish Boil, Taste the World, Star Wars Day, Church and State, and a whole lot of other stuff
- Bad Business, Intergalactic Bad Guys, Some Good Evil, Celebrity How To, and Other Stuff That Makes Me Feel Old
- A Bit of Science, Some Literature, A Tune or Two, and Some Crazy News
- Legal Footwork, Hidden History, Tasty Science, and Some Really Good Ideas
- Ant Physics, Lots of Television Show Stuff, Godzilla, and an Awesome Optical Illusion
- Science, Madness, Ice Cream Truck Music History, Slowly Impending Doom, and More
- Giger Passes, Giant Critters, Batman, Daredevil, Furry Walls, Cool History, Science, and a few really funny things
- Food, Flood, Flash, Multicolored Things, Zodiac, Twin Peaks, and the Future of the Internet
- Body Image, Movies on the Horizon, Brain Science, Gut Science, Net Neutrality, Photo Etiquette, and Paranoia
- Food, Real Heroes, Diversity in Comics, Movie Trailers, Net Neutrality, and some Randomness
- Dumbing Down, Questionable Relationship Awareness, Godzilla Humor, Economic Issues, Speed Cameras, and Zepplin
- Lots of Questionable Government Decisions, VR for Chickens, Public Fiber, Vocal Range Ranked, Netflix Glitched, and Why I’m Amazed We Still Any Money in the Bank (Computer Security)
- My Generation, Celebrity Humor, Cute Overload, World Goth Day, Jobs, and Job Numbers
- Tell His Mom, Conspiracy Closure, Environmental Pope, Helium, Slow-mo Nature, and Raccoons
- Sleep, Misogyny, Sun, Movies with and by People I Know, and Kids Today
- History, Science, and Animals
- Community News, Wolverine, a lot of Culture Talk, Some Science, a Little Food, and The Wonder Years Reunion
- More Than a Weekend’s Worth of Stuff
- FCC Overloaded, Rough Road to College, Red Velvet Mites of Love, Genderless, and Slenderman Delusions
- Authenticity, Spooked, For the Love of Villains, Poor Decisions Make the News, and Taking Risks
- Creative Living, Tone Deaf ‘Comedy’, Brain Science, Net Neutrality Sniping, and Reset the Net
- Detecting Sarcasm, Grumpy and Grumpy, Questionable Bling, and an Impressive Ninja Warrior Run
- Working the Pole, Cat vs Lizards, Star Trek Rumors, Disturbing Statistics, New Games, and a Spike-covered Bear Hunting Suit
- Short Short Stories, Green Fetish, Warp Speed, Color Capture, He Says He Didn’t Know, Russian Homophobia, and ER Perspective
- Birdman, Open Source Cars, Facts of Life, Fashion WTF, an Awesome Ghostrider, and Bunches of History
- More than a few days worth of stuff (Including science, cats, politics, Fathers Day, and a whole lot of Johnny Cash)
- A lot of humor (and some action) to counter-balance the really disturbing bits of news
- X-Men, Marshmallow Men, Puberty, Fire Phone, Isolation, and the Clown Motel of Your Nightmares
- Internet Shenanigans, Poverty, Artful Words, Militarized Police, and the Unauthorized Saved by the Bell
- Tarot History, Takei Respect, DRM Woes, Work Tunes, Illusions in Motion, and Comic Book Stuff
- Star Wars Stuff, Perspective on Numerous Levels, Cool Looking Hobbies, and (of course) Politics
- Political Progress, Severe SWAT, Riotous Raccoons, Diminutive Dwellings, and Interest Intelligence
- Innovation Squashed, Bigotry from the Bench, Hacking Hackers, Science Rap, and Work-life Balance
- Blasts from the Past, Signal Knowledge, Private Police, Big Brother Buzz, and Just Some Darn Funny Stuff
- Epic Rap Battles, Culture War, Yet More Problematic Politics, Some Interesting Decor, and the Requisite Number of Cat Posts
- Bad Dice, Blackwater, Continued Hobby Lobby Hubbub, Nature, and a Little Fan Service
- Discrimination, Diversity, Voices and Images From Beyond, Living Above Venus, and the Impeccable Bad Piper
- Just a Whole Lot of Stuff
- Piercing the Corporate Veil, A Study in Bayhem, Bubbles, Box of Pox, and Suddenly Poor
- Science, Aliens, Sexism, Stupid Application of the Law, and Buzz Aldrin
- Awesomecon Flashback, Modified Mario, Elegance, Ramone-less, and Various Other Bits of Stuff from the Weekend
- Lots of Oddities, Some Real Stupidity, A Bit of Humor, and the Blackest Black
- Cultural Perspective, Political Wranglings, a Really Big Hole, and Some Humor
- Heroes (in real life and otherwise), A Bad Way to Kill a Spider, Questionable Editorial Decisions, and Just Plain Bad News
- Affordable Housing, Role Playing Games, Legal Wranglings, Inspiration, Tragedy, and Everything Since Friday
- Good Ol’ Al, Water Woes in Detroit, Old Blood, Workplace Hijinks, and Some Good Ideas
- Al at Number One, Wrong Number Hijinks, Remixed News, White Flags Flying, and Galaxy Hopping to Kill Hitler
- So Many Teeth, Bunches of History, Scifi and Comic News, and Good to Help Balance Out the Bad
- Bunches of Comic Con Things, Big Discussions on Israel and the Gaza Strip, Some Levity to Balance that Out, and Musing on the Culture of Fear
- Sounds of Space, Questionable Business, Questionable Politics, and Some Movie Stuff
- Self-Image, Coffee is for Closers, An Economic Last Stand, Whiskey Lies, and Other Things
- Life Imitating Art, Remixing Art, Art Imitating Life, and Remixing Life
- Politics, SciFi, Comics, Comedy, and, well, Pretty Much a Little of Everything
- Hot Peppers, Stupid Humans, Culture Clash, and Textual Russian Roulette
- Reboots, Rumors, Religion, and a Kick Ass Waterslide
- The Doctor, The Terminator, The Panic, and The MacGuffin
- So Much in the Feed, Just Take It All In
- More on Robin Williams, Some Solid Harto, and Possible Political Insight
- Stupid Humans, Bounty Hunting, Bad Geography, and Aquaman
- Bees, Furguson, Fictional Horrors, and Needed Distractions
- More of Everything from the Past Few Days
- Mostly Fluff… Because the Few Real Articles Are Such Downers
- Weather, Ice Bucket Muppets, Free Range Kids, More From Furguson, and Some Movies
- More of a Mixed Bag
- A Weekend’s Worth of Amusement (Offset by Some Real World News)
- Bits of Nostalgia and Nature, Some World News, and a Really Big Wombat
- Lots More Funny Stuff and Some Bits on Relationships and Politics
- Some Classics, Russia on the Move, Angry Game Trolls, Hello Kitty, and a Very Happy Porcupine
- A Long Weekend’s Worth of Stuff
- Apocalypse! Espionage! Vikings! Death! And Elephants in a Pool.
- Old Favorites Resurfacing, Purposeful Work, Music, and a Very Chill Sloth
- Celebrity Death and Dying, A Metal Morning, Throwback Thursday, and Some Bad News for Freedom
- Another weekend, another bunch of stuff to alleviate stress
- Inside an Abusive Relationship, Questionable Traffic Laws, Captain Planet Gone Mad, and a Couple of Lighter Stories
- A Whole Lot on Net Neutrality, A View of the End of Civilization, and Some Happier Things
- The Blackest Burger, The Sun is Trying to Kill Us, Congress Sells Out, and Remembering 9-11
- It Was a Busy Weekend, Full of Stuff and Work
- Unintended Consequences Strike Again, Entertainment Both Classic and New, A Bit of Cute, and a Return to Space
- Music, Free Broadband in KC, and Stuffed Animals
- GWAR, Cooper and Price, Looking Back on Scandal, History, and A Few Other Things
Technically, I’m still in the middle of my last big road trip.
See, the plan was, after quitting my job at the newspaper up in rural NY (with nothing else lined up), I was going to cruise down to Atlanta for Dragon Con that year, then continue on down to Florida for a little while, bounce back up North (stopping to visit people I knew from college who were in the DC area), then up through northern New York, across the top of the country, down the West Coast, and then back east via a southern route that would let me hit Florida and DC again.
I’ve kind of been “stuck” in the DC area for the past decade. Never did make it all the way back to the northern New York bit. (Even though I’ve been back to my home town nearly two dozen times.)
So, technically, still in the middle of that trip.
Over the past week, two road trip ideas have come up. One, a return to New Orleans with some of the people I was with the last time I was there (back in 1993). The other, prompted by the Clown Motel item in today’s feed, with some new(er) friends who I know are good for adventure (and share a quirky, twisted, sense of humor).
I’d like to say both of those will happen.
But the last bunch of road trips I’ve tried to do have fallen short of actually being do-able. Mostly for financial and scheduling reasons. Sometimes, the problems aren’t even mine (though lately, they really have been).
Sure, I’ve managed a Dragon Con trip or two in the past decade… but not recently. And there was that one trip out to the Jersey Shore (which only happened because a friend has a house there and a bunch of us were heading out from the DC area). But, other than those rare exceptions and the trips home for holidays, my wanderlust has been seriously unsatisfied.
I like travel. I really, really do. What I don’t have is one of these three things at any given moment: time, money, or traveling companion(s).
Currently, money is tight and I have no paid vacation. I do, though, have a handful of people willing to go on two different trips. A while back, I had time and people, but seriously lacked money.
It feels like I really can’t win.
Not that that’s going to stop me from continuing to dream about these trips and trying to pull off miracles so I can do them.
Miracles are just few and far between these days.
(As are teleporters… which would really make all this a moot point.)